Saturday, February 08, 2014

Five 5 star things on a Friday

I don't know if I'll keep up this experiment either, but I have to start doing something to exercise the old blogging bug more than "just" galwaypubscrawl.com. Here's Five things I thought were the tops this week. I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't make explicit that this was inspired by Jon Schindehette's 4x4 feature over on The Art Order

Five 5-star things on a Friday (attempt at a new feature)

House of Leaves
I re-read House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski. Astoundingly good suspense/horror book when it was released, if you give it a little while before you re-read it, the gap between your memory of events and what you read opens up a load of suprises all over again.

WHFRP
Of interest to nerds, I started running a Warhammer FRP 1st edition game, specifically The Enemy Within campaign, last Sunday. I've forgotten how good that game is, and how visceral it can be. Obviously, over time I have come to love games that model reality (or attempt to) more - like GURPS and so forth, but WHFRP was my first RPG... 23-odd years ago, and I still have an immense love for it.

Mansun - Take it Easy Chicken

I really loved this album when it came out. Another nostalgia attack, this was triggered by suddenly remembering the lines:

It's slashing down/We are drowned

while getting soaked at work during the week. Attack of the Grey Lantern is going back into rotation for a while.

Throwing Shade

Throwing Shade would get 5 stars off me every week and any week, but if you listen to the intro on this episode and don't choke from laughing, you're basically a monster. You can also see them doing their thing with your eyes on their Funny or Die channel.

Marble Season
I picked up Marble Season recently and just got a chance to read through it. For a long time, Jaime Hernandez was my choice of the Hernandez Brothers - I could always see where Gilbert was going, but I felt I couldn't follow him there. Recently I've started to develop a fondness for his work, mostly because of the contents of Love & Rockets New Stories over the last few years. Marble Season is very different from his usual themes, but you definitely know it's Gilbert behind the work. Excellent, and anyone could see elements of their childhood in it and maybe find themselves remembering the dumb stuff they used to do. :)

Fun! I'm going to try and be back with 5 more things I enjoyed next week.

No comments: